Just like its predecessor, Fyre Festival 2 appears to be off to a bumpy start.
Earlier this week, officials at Playa del Carmen in Mexico issued a statement that the sequel to the 2017 unfortunate music festival has not been approved within the municipality.
However, on Friday, festival organizers issued their own statement attempting to disprove the claim.
“Fyre has been working directly with the Playa del Carmen Government (PDC) and its officials to ensure a safe and successful event since March 5, 2025,” the organizers wrote on the festival’s Instagram account. “All media reports that suggest that our team is not working with the PDC government are simply inaccurate and based on misinformation.”
In their post, organizers shared a series of screenshots documenting communications with city government officials regarding permits and supposed payments.
One screenshot included a post that the festival organizers said they had been shared on the official city government Instagram account, including images from a virtual press conference held on March 27th.
“In light of rumors about an event called ‘Fire 2’, we will inform you that an event with that name will not be held in Playa del Carmen,” the local government said in a translated statement posted on social media on April 2.
The city’s statement contradicted Feel Festival founder Billy McFarland, and announced at a virtual press conference on March 27th that it will be held at Playa del Carmen from May 30th to June 2nd.
At the same meeting, Fernando Delgado, founder of the Martina Beach Club, listed as one of the social media festival venues, said:
The statement from the officials follows a similar rejection from the local government and tourism committee of the festival’s first proposed site, Isla Mujeres.
“Information circulating in the media regarding the event “Fyre Festival II” has informed the office and other local government departments that the local government office shared in a Facebook post on February 26th has not requested permission from this office or other city government departments.
“We have no knowledge of the event, and we have no contact with any people or companies about it,” Edgar Gaska of the Isla Mujeres Tourism Bureau told the Guardian in a story released on February 27th. “For us, this is an event that doesn’t exist.”
Festival organizer Nick Lawson told Yahoo Entertainment in a statement on March 27 that the organizers were “blinded” by the Isla Mujeres Tourism Bureau’s allegations of rejection.
“In the end, we found the perfect home for Fire Festival 2 in Playa del Carmen,” Lawson said at the time. “Playa has the ideal combination of beach clubs, hotels and guest experiences. We were welcomed with open arms and could not seek a better location partner.”
Yahoo Entertainment checked the details with both the Playa del Carmen City Council and the organizers of the Fire Festival, but did not receive an immediate response.
FireFestival 2 was teased as early as August 2023 in McFarland and was announced to be held first in Islam Geres.
In an Instagram post on March 21, McFarland confirmed the move to Playa Del Carmen, writing that instead, it will be held “in the heart of the Riviera Maya,” with new venues and accommodations named.
At a press conference on March 27th, McFarland was optimistic that the event was moving forward.
“I’m not here to make excuses,” he said early in the presentation. He quoted the festival’s “7-8 years of maturity.” He also praised the team’s collaboration with Rostnights, which partners with event company Fyre Festival, which described it as “one of the best festival companies not just in Mexico but in the world.”
Raul Tasinari Gonzalez, Civic Security Secretary of Playa del Carmen, attended a press conference in McFarland. As of October 2024, Gonzalez is listed as mayor of Civic Security on the city’s official website.
Yahoo Entertainment contacted city officials during the event whether González was acting in official capabilities or on behalf of the government, but they did not respond immediately.
Tickets for the Fyre 2 are still on sale, with prices ranging from $1,400 to $1.1 million.
At a press conference, McFarland and his team said the new event will feature 1,800 participants, 40 performers, private villas, drivers and yachts.
“The artist’s first release will be coming next week,” Lost Knight’s head of artists and commercial relations, Manuel Leta, told a meeting on March 27th. As of April 4th, no such lineup had been released and has not been announced on social media.
Yahoo Entertainment reached out to Lostnights but did not receive a response immediately.